Ten Quick Facts about Mental Illness:
- 20-25% of people have a mental illness at any point in time.
- 50-80% of people have a mental illness at some point in their life.
- 50-70% of adults with a mental illness are parents.
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illnesses.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability for young adults in the U.S.
- Drug use in school-aged young people is at its lowest rate in 20 years! Only 6-13.3% of young people reported using drugs.
- Nearly 45,000 Americans die from suicide every year.
- Mental illness usually happens for the first time during the teen or young adult years.
- Up to 50% of former U.S. Presidents may have had a mental illness during their lifetime.
- Mental illness treatment works! Up to 90% of people who receive treatment get better!
1. Leijdesdorff, S., van Doesum, K., Popma, A., Klaassen, R., & van Amelsvoort, T. (2017). Prevalence of psychopathology in children of parents with mental illness and/or addiction: An up to date narrative review. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 30, 312-317. https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0000000000000341
2. National Institute on Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/mental-illness.shtml & Scientific American (2018). https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/mental-illness-is-far-...
3. Royal College of Psychiatrists. (2016). Parental mental illness: The impact on children and adolescents. Information for parents, carers and anyone who works with young people. Retreived from rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/parentsandyouthinfo/parentscarers/parentalmentalillness.aspx
4. National Institute on Mental Health (2018). https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/what-is-prevalence.shtml
5. National Institute on Mental Health (2018). https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/what-is-prevalence.shtml
6. National Institiute on Drug Abuse (2017). https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/monitoring-future-surve...
7. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (2018). https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
8. Kessler, R. C., Amminger, G. P., Aguilar‐Gaxiola, S., Alonso, J., Lee, S., & Ustun, T. B. (2007). Age of onset of mental disorders: A review of recent literature. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 20, 359-364. doi: 10.1097/YCO.0b013e32816ebc8c
9. Davidson, J. R., Connor, K. M., & Swartz, M. (2006). Mental illness in US Presidents between 1776 and 1974: A review of biographical sources. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 194, 47-51.
10. NAMI California (2018). Mental illness facts. https://namica.org/resources/mental-illness/mental-illness-facts/